Monday, March 30, 2015

The Life of an Islander‏ 3-29-15

SUM UP:
-I'm living on a posh island.
-Prayer should be refreshing.

THE NOVEL:

Paignton
I will miss Paignton Ward but I am stoked to be here on Guernsey! I can't recall everything that happened leading up to moves because it feels like it's been donkey's ears since I have been there.

The Travel and Airport (skip this section it's boring)
Wednesday morning Elder and Sister McBride picked us up early to go to the moves meeting. During our long drive we listened to Elder McBride's travel stories. He gave me lots of ideas of how to get the most luggage on the flight. His ideas include a lot more than strategic packing. Basically what I got out of it was: queue up for the employee who is smiling and be really nice to them and, "Only believe." Using this plan he claims he has never had to pay for his overweight luggage.

At the Staines chapel I find out that the missionary I would be flying with is my MTC companion Elder Hernandez! Neither of us were properly prepared to fly because we did not know our flight plans or weight limit on the suitcases. It is my fault as much as anyone who helped plan it, but there almost needs to be a section in Preach My Gospel about communicating with missionaries and conveying vital information.

Let me explain the challenge. Missionaries are allowed two suitcases at 50 pounds and a carry-on. Missionaries transferred to Guernsey are allowed one suitcase at 20 kilos and one carry on. Between the moves meeting and the flight we ended up in the mission office to get our itinerary while trying to repack our suitcases to make it under the maximum weight. I had to get rid of half my clothes and put all of my books in my backpack.

If airports don't already stress me out enough, we arrived at Gatwick Airport only 45 minutes before the flight was departing. Once we found where we check our suitcases in went up to Kevin, the employee who was smiling, called him by name, explained that we were missionaries and we are new to flying. Elder Hernandez's suitcase was 22 kilos and he somehow ended up with an oversized carry-on, a grocery sack, and a shoulder bag with his scriptures but we didn't pay anything. Security took some time because Elder Hernandez tried to carry-on nearly a dozen full size bottles of bathroom supplies which all got thrown away. Two different people told him he should only have one carry on but we just smiled our way through.

While I tried to navigate from there to the gate I was worried about getting lost so I continued to pray we would make the flight. I saw on the screen that our gate was closed but as we rushed through the airport I just keep thinking, "Only believe." I know I was guided because somehow we managed to find where we were supposed to go without getting lost. We were the last people to board and we sat down about three minutes before the plane was scheduled to take off. That prayer had to be answered especially because I don't think there was another flight to Guernsey that day.

Guernsey
Living in a full size house with another companionship of elders and the senior couple makes it feel like we are a big happy family. We have morning and evening prayers daily and eat together when we can. We have the nicest accommodations and the elders here know how to cook. I feel like a king. My companion is Elder Anderson and it's confirmed, he's from Kaysville again. How the did that happen?

Biking was the most fun thing ever for about two minutes, then I had to go through a two lane round-a-bout with traffic. It has challenged me in ways that I never anticipated. Not only are the roads narrow and full of traffic but there are hills, bad weather, and road features called filters that I haven't previously experienced. After only one day of cycling my seat was sore and I missed the luxurious bus seats.

The work in Guernsey is hard. The character of an offshore financial center doesn't typically breed humble people. It is a drastic contrast to the area I just came from where unemployment was high and abuse of benefits was higher. The people here are so posh. The first time we walked up the high street everyone was wearing classy suits and sunglasses. The sights are beautiful and our house overlooks a bay. It's a dream here but the only problem is its a tourist's dream and more like a nightmare for missionaries.

Sacrament meeting had a total attendance of 10 adults and 1 toddler. Out of those 10 adults, 6 were missionaries and the other 4 were sisters. Convincing investigators to attend  church is going to be a lot different but it helps me recognise how much it  would strengthen the ward to have a strong family or even a priesthood holder. Guernsey branch for days!

One of the coolest things I got out of my study this morning was a detailed explanation of the Lord's Prayer in James E. Talmage's Jesus the Christ. He expounds each characteristic into a paragraph, like he does, and helps the reader understand how to make prayer more meaningful. In a Preach My Gospel self evaluation of prayer I learnt that our prayers can be guided by the Spirit, and even refreshing. Mum reminded me of the Bible Dictionary definition of prayer which I love. It reads:

As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part.  Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship.  Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other.  The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them.

Through focused and spiritual prayers I have developed a personal relationship with my Father in Heaven. Each time I sincerely pray I feel the Spirit burn inside of me. I know he loves me. I know Jesus Christ is our Saviour and Redeemer and is our only way back to the Father. Please remember Him during this special Easter week. If you haven't already, check out easter.mormon.org and share the video. I love you guys!

Elder Price

OUR HOUSE
So rumour has it that I am staying in the most expensive missionary accommodation in the world at over £3000 a month. I have no idea how true that it but it is too nice here. Our bedroom isn't very big but the rest of the house makes up for it. It is so nice to stand up in a hot shower again. We have a large kitchen connected to a dining room and TV room which overlooks the sea. I saw a gorgeous sunrise over the island Sark this morning.

My address is:

La Salerie
1 St. George's Esplanade
St. Peter Port GY1 2BJ
Guernsey, Channel Islands

United Kingdom