Monday, April 6, 2015

The Man in the Mirror ‏ 4/6/15


One evening early in the week we were planning and we had hours of time to find so Elder Anderson wanted me to pick a street to knock. I decided we should ride our bikes all the way to the far side of our area to find people that haven't spoken to missionaries a million times. Most the people closer to where the we live are either rude or have already met with missionaries before and think "been there done that!" Compared to large areas in England it is more difficult to have faith in finding new people, but I fasted last week for more faith in our area.

We're on the far side of the island and we don't get any response for over an hour of knocking. Not one person wanted to even chat. We knock on this one door and this mum named Emma asked, "Mormons?" It's not an unusual response but then she shouted to her teenage son to come meet real live Mormons! He doesn't believe in God but they studied our church in his Religious Education classes so they were interested. We ended up teaching the first lesson along with loads of random questions we tied in. We got Emma really thinking about it all. She has hope but her faith has struggled through different challenges. The coolest part of the lesson, both the kids were interested and the 8 year old asked when we can come back. He said he would spend a whole day reading the Restoration pamphlet we gave them.

Miracles are usually in response to faith. Over the last week we raised our faith and we were blessed with getting 7 new investigators! To help you understand that is my mission high and this area has been struggling.

One of the most amazing things I have seen in my mission is the power of the Atonement to change people. I haven't been able to baptise anyone yet but I have seen other affects. I have witnessed addicts quit, suicidal people found hope, and I have heard "confirmed atheists" pray to their loving Heavenly Father.

My favourite quote explains how it works:

“The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. … Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature” (“Born of God,” Ensign, Nov. 1985, 6).

The Gospel will bless anyone and their family if they are willing to find out it's true.

Most amazing out of all of the people I have seen change in my life is myself. I have surprised myself with my determination to embrace the gospel. I will do all I can to keep my family strong in the gospel. This determination makes me want to find families that can be changed through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know there are individuals and families prepared to receive it. This week we were blessed with miracles. Seven new investigators! I still marvel at how that happened but I know that miracles are usually in response to faith. Our prayers were answered (they always are).

According to the King of Pop, "If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make the change."


I love this gospel. I love my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. I am grateful for opportunities to be humbled and remember that I depend on Him to carry me through. I truly need Him every hour. He wants us to find the strength that comes when we trust Him. I hope you can strive to find it more fully in your life.