Monday, June 15, 2015

Hero
‏  6/15/15

Sum Up
-I met Elder Holland. A full time mission should change the individual forever. There is a desperate need for everyone to spread the gospel.
-S/O to Sister Collette Nebeker for calling me Jordan instead of Elder Price. That was weird.

The Epistle

My head is still spinning that I have left my second area. Time flies when you're having fun right? Monday morning Elder Hartshorn and I flew from Guernsey to England and traveled to the mission home where we would part ways. I forgot to even say bye but we had a mission conference Friday with Elder Holland so I saw the whole mission (and the London mission). From there I was road tripping to Portsmouth to meet Elder Tunnicliffe. We took a ferry and a short train tour area in Ryde, Isle of Wight. I was transferred just in time for the massive Isle of Wight Music Festival. The Black Keys are here!

Elder Tunnicliffe brings joy into my life. He is fairly young but he is optimistic and laughs all the time. We're already best friends. He is from York (not Kaysville again) so it's really cool not to have an American companion just for the new experience. His trainer finished his full-time mission halfway through training so I get to finish up. Training is fantastic because it reminds me of lots of little things that I have forgotten about or just gotten lazy with.

The elder I replaced on the island returned home to a relatively poor island near Fiji. Tuesday evening Elder Tunnicliffe felt like he needed to look at his Skype for some reason and his trainer was trying to contact him in an emergency. He was having major issues with his travel plans so after two long flights and a lot of stress, he was in Fiji broke. If the flight issues didn't get sorted then he would have to wait a week to catch another one. I realised how fortunate I have been my entire life. This missionary never needed shoes before his mission and so often we caught up in things that really don't matter.

Things that do matter are things that can last. Money, careers, and material goods are necessary but they don't survive in the eternities. I am so grateful that I was born into a nice family where I have been able to learn the gospel. I am grateful that I have a missionary schedule that entices me to study the scriptures so much to develop my own testimony, which is something that is paramount in eternity. I am so grateful for loved ones in my life that I plan on being with for a LONG time (like forever).

Friday was one of the greatest experiences of my life. We gathered at Hyde Park chapel to meet and learn from an Apostle of the Lord. Elder Jeffrey R Holland has been one of my favourites because he declares the doctrine zealously so it was a dream come true to be able to briefly meet him. What I didn't anticipate was how soft and squishy his hand was. I was more nervous about pronouncing my name properly than anything else. Then in his talk he explained that he loves us but he really doesn't care what our name is or where we are from, but that it was our personal interview. He literally looked into my soul and I am proud to say that I was confident to meet his gaze because I have been trying my best to fulfil my purpose as a servant of the Lord. I have plenty of shortcomings, but I know that through the grace of Jesus Christ we can overcome anything.

Elder Holland bore powerful testimony of the effect that a full time mission should have on our lives. How can someone wear the name tag and proclaim His gospel for two years just to take it all back? Returning home from a mission does not mean regressing into an old way of life. Of course I will be doing a lot different things (skiing, dating, listening to ADTR) but returning home from a mission should be another step forward in the gospel. I should be continuing to strengthen my faith and continually coming unto Christ to be perfected in Him. Elder Holland absolutely loved his mission. He served in Southern England and he was actually companions with Elder Cook for awhile.

Now that we are on the tail end of the great influx of missionaries that came with the age change, the size of the mission is decreasing every transfer. The world needs more full time missionaries are more members willing to rise to their duty. Something interesting I gained from the conference was an even greater desire to serve a senior couple mission someday. He testified of the love the Lord has for those people for their service. He didn't necessarily say this but the Spirit whispered to me that if anyone wants to serve but doesn't know how it'll work, the Lord will provide. D&C 4:3 "Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work." I promise that if you pray for a missionary opportunity, no matter what type, you will receive one. Prayers are answered.

Yesterday I met a couple Guerns on holiday here and they reminded me I miss Guernsey really bad. I especially miss all of my friends there. The missionaries, the people we were teaching, and the branch were stellar. They'll stay in my prayers but I am excited to be working with the ward here. There are around 100 active members and they feed us too much. A new ward mission leader was just called and he is passionate about missionary work. I hope to learn how to work with members to find people to teach just like you learn in the MTC how it's supposed to happen. We will be accomplishing loads this transfer.


I love being a missionary! Jesus Christ lives! The church is true!

Elder Price