Monday, August 10, 2015

We are the sheepdogs.‏  Aug 10, 2015

Sum Up
Progress is steady and sure. I read 3 Nephi this week and found out good news, the Book of Mormon is true!
The Epistle

Saturday we were able to go help our friend Karen in her garden and meet some of her family. We were concerned about some drama going on with Karen's less-active friend/acquaintance but I'm confident she has the courage to do what's right. She came to church and is well on the road to her baptism, which is on the 22 August now. Due to my companion's vast knowledge of country artists and me showing off my football skills her grandson took to us as well. Fingers crossed they'll all come to the ward BBQ Saturday. 

This week I was reminded of Guernsey, back to my second visit with my friend James. Like most people do, he asked for evidence in the Bible pointing toward the Book of Mormon. We responded how many missionaries might. Opening to John 10:16, we explained that Jesus is telling the Jews he will visit his "other sheep," which included the Nephites. Many Christians will tell you this verse is referring to Gentiles that he'll visit.

The very next day in Sunday school we happened to read in 3 Nephi 15: 16-24 which explains, "And they understood me not that I said they shall hear my voice; and they understood me not that the Gentiles should not at any time hear my voice--that I should not manifest myself unto them save it were by the Holy Ghost." James pointed out that it seemed convenient and I didn't disagree. It wasn't until reading 3 Nephi this week that I understood why and it also answered the question of why the Bible doesn't mention Nephites even once.
3 Nephi 16:4 And I command you that ye shall write these sayings after I am gone, that if it so be that my people at Jerusalem, they who have seen me and been with me in my ministry, do not ask the Father in my name, that they may receive a knowledge of you by the Holy Ghost, and also of the other tribes whom they know not of, that these sayings which ye shall write shall be kept and shall be manifested unto the Gentiles, that through the fullness of the Gentiles, the remnant of their seed, who shall be scattered forth upon the face of the earth because of their unbelief, may be brought in, or may be brought to a knowledge of me, their Redeemer.

They don't know about the Nephites, or the "other sheep," in Jerusalem because they never asked! Revelation almost always begins when we humbly say, "Speak Lord, for thy servant heareth" (1 Samuel 3:9-10). After reading this it hit me that it wasn't until the 10th chapter of Acts that Peter is commanded to take the Gospel to the Gentiles, so it wouldn't make sense to me that Jesus gives his word to them yet.

The day that I read this my heart was burning again. I learnt a lot more about the lost tribes and the gathering of Israel, but I also learnt that the Book of Mormon is (still) scripture. Twice that day other Christians brought up the other sheep reference. One was an evangelical preacher that approached us, and the other was a new investigator that had accepted a Book of Mormon the week before. It took a lot of testimony and explaining to get him to agree to read it, but when we came back we were saddened to hear him request that we never come back. My newfound knowledge didn't help convert them, because they weren't listening, but it was a tender mercy that I knew who the other sheep were and I knew the book I hold dear is not false.

James once pointed out to me that if He is the Good Shepherd than we are His sheepdogs. It makes us sound small and energetic but I don't mind. We'll keep on steering the sheep in the right direction until the end.


The church is true. Jesus is the Christ. Love,

Elder Price
All things are possible.  Elder Price does not like snakes!