Tuesday, October 13, 2015

New place, new face, new excitement.  10/13/15


Sum Up
I'm moving to High Wycombe.
Stuff.
The Atonement.

The Epistle
A lot has happened since the last email! At Zone Training President Gubler was teaching us how to be more bold and direct (and still loving) to find people who are willing to progress. We're going to use the Book of Mormon as a sifter when we find and teach people that will read it. If they aren't willing to experiment than by their own declaration they aren't ready so we thank them for their honesty and move on.

We also had interviews with President which is always a good time. I love one on one time with spiritual giants. For lunch we had "Cafe Rio" homemade by a lovely senior couple. I snagged a delicious sweet pork burrito and sat next to President to ask doctrinal questions. That was my favourite part of the day.

We have two new solid investigators but I'll spare the details because I'm being shipped northward. Elder Graham will stay on the island to train and I will go to High Wycombe to finish training. It's like déjà vu (like it's happened before). The only thing I know about him is that his name is Elder Baines and he wants to work. I think we can arrange that.

Over the weekend was madness trying to visit everyone and invite them to be faithful one last time. We started to get ill Thursday night so we prayed that exchanges the next day would get cancelled. Our district leader called the next morning with a changed mind. Are you surprised? By Friday night I felt awful so Elder Graham gave me a blessing. He promised I would sleep well and then wake up on time with energy and feeling well. I nearly leaped out of bed the next morning. Unfortunately, he didn't bless me with my voice back and I could hardly speak ALL SATURDAY. I told him it's the Lord's way of making him take the lead in teaching and talking to people. I even saved pictures off LDS.org for a lesson and used them while he spoke.

Two of Bishop's grandsons who are best friend cousins were baptised Sunday and we were honoured to participate. Standing in on confirmations is always powerful.

Paul blessed the sacrament in church for my last week there. If nothing else happens the rest of my mission, teaching him made the whole thing worth it.

To get to the moves meeting we slept in the Portsmouth flat last night and took a train to Crawley chapel. Then I got a lift to meet my companion in High Wycombe. Elder Baines is from Sheffield and he's a star! He's actually been called to the Orem Utah mission but he is waiting on a visa. He's eager to work and no doubt we're going to work harder than we ever had before. One of the best parts, he loves a clean flat as much or more than me. I am so happy to be here with him!!

A scripture I enjoyed in my personal study today was about gathering the House of Israel and specifically the Jews. 2 Nephi 25:16 which reads:

...they shall be persuaded to believe in Christ, the Son of God, and the atonement, which is infinite for all mankind--and when that day shall come that they shall believe in Christ, and worship the Father in his name, with pure hearts and clean hands, and look not forward any more for another Messiah...

When they believe in their Messiah then they can enjoy the blessings of the infinite atonement. So if we believe in Jesus as the Christ do we actually use the Atonement as much as we should to shape us?

More to come next week!


Bishop's grandsons baptism
Elder Price
Beautiful sunset