Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Dirt biking and the Light  ‏     1/5/16

Summary
Learning to be bold and testifying of the Saviour. Cool analogy from my life in the long part of the email.

The Long Part of the Email

Soorrry about the lack of responses lately. Last week we typed up our emails in the flat and went to a shop to catch Wi-Fi to send them. My iPad was full and it didn't save any of my drafts. Just remember that I love you all and appreciate the support. :)

Not loads new has happened here. We're working with a few of the same people and seeing slight progress. My companionship is improving. I am focusing on serving and loving instead of on what we lack. Elder Chiu Falck has been trying a lot harder and he's done quite well! He's still terrified to talk to people but he made it a goal to speak to someone every day. We've been bonding over chess in the evenings on good days too. It's nice to have something we both like as a reward (and I'm up 6-3).

We were knocking in an area that has a lot more Muslims and I decided to get bold. Normally I'd adjust my approach slightly to get into a conversation more but this time I saw all the signs and said, "Nah, forget it."

The door underneath the Arabic bumper sticker opens, the curry smell comes out, and a nice bearded man in a robe says hello. I continued, "Hi, we are disciples of Jesus Christ and we are sharing how God has lovingly called modern prophets to restore the truth that was lost. We have proof in this book. It is..." He listened politely for a minute, took a card, and said thanks as the door closed.

Sifting like this yields less religious conversations but we are called to find the elect. Plus I've heard about the same six miracles that Mohammed performed too many times.

Studying I was reminded of an experience I had. The first time Dad and I rode up to Ben Lomond Peak was the first time I had ridden single-track on a dirt bike. I was on the XR200 and enjoying the new challenges like switchbacks. There was one part that had a small landslide that took half of the trail down with it. This landslide was a minor obstacle I had to face but if I rode on the wrong side of the trail, it would prove to be detrimental. I skirted it just fine but as I passed I curiously looked down the landslide. This shifted gaze caused my shoulders to twist and I veered off the trail ten yards past the obstacle. I then had to wait for Dad's help because it was steep and I couldn't get the bike back on the trail by myself.

This would've turned out differently if I would've kept my goal in sight. In the vision of the tree of life (1 Nephi 8 & 15) Lehi focuses on the tree of life and he never worries about falling into the river of filth nearby. Although some people lost sight of what it most important and fell. This even happened to some who had partaken of the delicious fruit.

28 And after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, because of those that were scoffing at them; and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.

If we have our eyes set on the Light of the World, the Saviour, our Redeemer, we will never fall (Helaman 5:12). I know that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten of the Father and that His Atonement can save me from falling and get me back onto the trail when I do.

Love,

Elder Price


Laugh of the day: Ask Siri what zero divided by zero is.

Looking outside of our flat on Christmas Eve morning.


Christmas day