Monday, February 8, 2016

If the Savior Stood Beside Me  2/8/16
Summary
Sorry this is so long! Just read the first 3 paragraphs and then skip to the end if you don't like reading.

This Version is Too Long

The new guy we found to teach this week is a man who used to be a doctor but he had a major stroke so he has limited use of his left side. He doesn't feel like he got the proper medical attention he deserved. It would be difficult not to be bitter, especially if you've poured your heart into helping people and payed buckets of taxes and NHS is supposed to take care of you. I was asking myself if I could forgive the man, people, or the system, if my life took a dramatic turn like this.

Elder Chiu Falck is growing ever so much. Yesterday when we were knocking on doors he did every other one. Sometimes he still freezes and steps back to physically push me in front of him but he is doing so well.

We taught a primary class this week... they were 4 year olds and I think knocking on doors is easier. The people we meet knocking aren't as cute as the primary kids though.

I wanted to share an experience from a while ago that I haven't had the chance to yet. If I said this last week you will have to forgive me. So one evening we are on our way home. We approach our bus stop and notice that there is a massive broken down bus serving as a great roadblock. Roads aren't always big enough to go around so traffic both directions was blocked. Home isn't that far so we decide we can just walk. We had just passed the next bus stop on the high street as I wondered if we should stop and inform the people that no buses are coming.

One man recognised us as missionaries and made a snide comment (that wasn't even clever) about buses in America. He started going off about religion and Mormons to the guy standing next to him but another man standing there stepped in to get a closer view of our name tags for himself. We began to explain who we were when he said, "Let me ask you one question, and your response will determine if we have a good conversation or not." I can't even remember the exact question but I just told him I don't know and asked what he thought. We ended up having a great conversation for about half an hour. We've really connected and this man, Paul, seems genuinely interested.
Paul is from Slough though, and he has realised he missed the last bus home. By this point it's 9 pm and it's flipping freezing outside and "raining." (This class of rain is most common and it's called "spitting." You would associate with a heavy mist.) He doesn't have any family in Wycombe so he's going to have to walk home and I felt pretty bad for him. I wouldn't do this often, but I felt really good about this. Paul didn't even hint or ask for a lift but I was hoping we could help him out. I called our all-star ward mission leader, Brother Holt, and he didn't answer. I called again and he was not thrilled at the prospect of the big favour I was asking but he was willing to help. He picked us up a few minutes later and we embarked on our journey.

In the backseat I taught Paul the message of the Restoration, invited him to meet the Slough missionaries, and he committed to read from the Book of Mormon and pray to know it's true. He had a love for the Bible and he says he always prays before and after he reads to know what God is saying to him. I have high hopes to hear from the Slough missionaries about how Paul is doing.

We only listen to hymns by Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the LDS Hymns app or music from General Conference in the ELSM so I've discovered some great songs. I want to share with you my jam of the week:

If the Savior Stood Beside Me
1.
If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?

Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?

Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously

if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?
2.
If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?

Would my words be true and kind if He was never far away?

Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more rev’rently

if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?
3.
— He is always near me, though I do not see Him there,

And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care.

So I’ll be the kind of person that I know I’d like to be

if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.


Love,

Elder Price

Something funny... This is how a conversation for really old people goes:
"It's a bit windy."
"No it's Thursday."
"Me too! Let's go buy a drink."


Oh BTW, it is moves next week so we'll be emailing on Tuesday. Hear from you in a bit!