Monday, May 23, 2016

Friends
Elder Vieira, Stull, Redd, Price




Previous message
Next messageSomething  5/23/16

Summary
It has been a busy week.
I love being a missionary.
Someday is a dangerous word.

Epistle

This week has been eventful. Some weeks I don't feel like we have had any progress so I don't know what to talk about but this week so much has happened I can't even begin. We have been able to teach quite a few proper lessons and bring members with us too. It feels good to be sharing the gospel. Our friend Luke was preparing for baptism but he disappeared for a minute. Hopefully we'll get back in touch soon. In the meantime we'll work with the others we have found and keep searching. The "others" are promising prospects so I'll be sure to mention anything notable that happens when I email next week. Don't the weeks go by so quickly?

We had a great Zone Conference on Wednesday! President Gubler brought one of his electric drills and asked a missionary to put a screw into some wood with it. The only problem was that there was no battery. He related this to gaining spiritual and priesthood power (see The Price of Priesthood Power, By President Russell M. Nelson).

I love being a missionary so much! There isn't anything as rewarding as teaching and baptising. Often we have to spend lots of time finding people to teach and baptise. It is really odd to me how I can think we love something so much, yet struggle to want to go talk to people at times. Sunday after lunch I felt like this. I was already stressed from events earlier in the day and I just didn't want to go work hard.

In this moment of decision I began to ask myself a few questions. (Not out loud, just in my head. I'm not crazy.) "Why are you here? And what makes you want to stay here?" I began to think of the sheer joy that comes when I have been able to be an instrument in bringing others to the truth. And then the negative influence piped in, "You can start working your heart out again tomorrow (or next week, next transfer, someday etc)." It was at this moment that I was reminded of the scriptures in Alma 34:

 32 For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.

 33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

 34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

After I was honest with myself and realised that nothing would change tomorrow I decided, "You can do it NOW." (Just like my favourite skiing story from General Conference.) So I jumped up and decided to put my heart into the work for those next few hours. As we talked to everyone we still faced the same amount of rejection, but we persevered. And eventually we found Nikita, who we are teaching tonight.

Hopefully we'll have loads of good news to share with you next week!

I know that sharing the gospel is the most important thing I can be doing. As I have tried to keep a positive attitude I have felt so much joy in the work. I love being a servant of the Lord. I have also been able to review what is hindering my spiritual power (and Priesthood power) and resolve to change. Repentance is a good thing. Too often it is associated with dirty sins but really repentance is changing to become who God needs us to be. You can even repent from a bad attitude or from laziness. That's how I feel. I feel reborn. I love my Saviour Jesus Christ! I will serve Him forever.

Elder Price


We just had an incredible Zone Conference with Elder Herbertson of the seventy. One thing that really stood out to me is the importance of following promptings that we receive from the Holy Ghost. When we
follow them we receive them more frequently. We also learn to recognise them better. Great results can result from a small act.